Becoming an author is easy! First, choose which of the Envato Marketplaces best suits what you’re planning to sell.
Here are your options:
- ActiveDen – Royalty-free stock items for use in Adobe Flash projects and websites, starting at $1.
- AudioJungle – Royalty-free music and sound effects, starting at $1.
- GraphicRiver – Royalty free layered Adobe Photoshop Files, Vector Graphics, Icon Sets and Add-ons for Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator, starting at $1.
- ThemeForest – Site templates and themes to skin popular CMS products like WordPress, Drupal and Joomla, starting at $5.
- VideoHive – Royalty free stock footage, motion graphics and project files for applications such as Adobe After Effects, starting at $2.
- 3DOcean – 3D Models, Textures, Materials, Shaders and Concepts.
- PhotoDune – Royalty-free stock photography.
Follow these steps to become an author on any of our marketplaces.
- Become a Member of any of our Envato Marketplaces.
Note: You will need to be logged in to the marketplaces and verified to access the pages linked to below.
- Read the Authoring Tutorial – This is an overview of some important information you’ll need to know about uploading, copyright and selling.
- Take the Author Quiz – The author quiz tests that you’ve understood the authoring tutorial. It’s a simple process to take and once passed you will be eligible to sell on the marketplace that you took the test on.
- Select Exclusivity – Authors selling unique items on the Envato Marketplaces as an Exclusive author are eligible to receive between 50% and 70% of every sale depending on the sales volume. If you wish to sell the same items elsewhere then you receive a reduced 33% of each sale. Note that you can sell other items elsewhere as an exclusive author.
PhotoDune Only: If you wish to sell stock photography on PhotoDune, you must first submit a zipped folder containing 5 – 15 photographs that are an accurate reflection of your photographic portfolio. Photographs submitted in your portfolio are not automatically placed for sale on the marketplace and do not need to be accompanied by release forms. Once your .zip file is ready, please submit your portfolio. You do not need to submit a portfolio if you wish to submit items to our other marketplaces.
- Begin Uploading – At this point you are now an author and can upload your content via your author dashboard.
We’ve recently changed our payment structure and now you can make even more selling at Envato. Authors can now earn up to 70% on every sale! Be sure to check out the full payment rate schedule for more details.
Q: Do you have any useful tips to help authors earn more money?
A: The Submission Tips section of the Knowledgebase contains helpful information for authors.
Q: How do authors get paid?
A: Here’s the info on when and how you will get paid.
Q: Do you have a referral program?
A: Yes, if you refer a new member, you get 30% of their first deposit, whether they buy your file or someone else’s. Here’s more info on our referral program.
Q: Do I retain the rights to my own file?
A: Yes, it’s your file. We just provide a venue to sell it.
Q: Can my payment rate ever go down?
A: No. Unlike some of the other major stock marketplaces your rate will never go down, regardless of sales volume.
Q: Are files reviewed or will you accept anything?
A: Each file goes through a rigorous reviewing process to ensure that it meets our standards for technical and aesthetic quality.
Q: Can I make more money by selling exclusively with Envato?
A: Yes. Here is the full breakdown of rates depending on exclusivity.
Q: Is exclusivity based on the author or the individual file? Meaning, could I sell one file here and sell a completely different one on my own site?
A: Yes. Exclusivity is on a per file basis. As long as the files are completely different, you could sell one here and one on your site.
Q: I don’t want to have my files sold with the extended license. Can I opt out?
A: Yes, but there are definite advantages to opting in. Here’s more info on extended licenses.
Q: Who is responsible for copyright violations in files I’ve submitted?
A: As the author, it’s your responsibility to make sure you’re not violating anyone’s copyright by uploading your file. If you’re unsure if you’re allowed to use an asset within your file, ask the asset’s owner or a lawyer.
Q: Who determines the price of my file?
A: To keep the marketplaces consistent and prevent undercutting, all files are priced by the Envato staff.
Q: Am I required to support the files I upload?
A: Providing support is a great way to ensure repeat business from buyers, but no, it’s not required unless the file is actually broken.