Here’s another round of photos from the mystery traveling Envato author.
Featured in these three early morning workspaces are wonderful sunrises and varied levels of seating comfort. Early morning is a great time to catch up on emails, upload some files and download any resources for planned work in the (internet-less) days ahead. Early morning beats the heat and the flies around here (also the light is great for photos).
Featured in this workplace is an intriguing (and some say magical) ancient rock formation. Nobody knows for sure, but many believe it was created by a mysterious group of nomadic travelers over many many years. Descendants of these travelers have since learnt to drive rusty white vans all across the country. The magical powers in these rocks brought me an Internet connection (helped by the little 2 dB gain omni).
Getting comfy again at a high point with the USB dongle and 2 dB gain omni stuck up in a tree. Only place with internet around here.
This is as close as you can get to an internet cafe in this area of the country. Hundreds of kilometers from the nearest town (and heading away) we reached a high point and our “Internet alarm” went off. Quickly pulled over and whipped out the 6 dB gain omni – got a fairly decent connection for this area (90 kbps) and stopped for an hour catching up on work.
Featured in this workplace is:
- Dell XPS 15 booted into Linux
- a solar panel (helping to boost some big batteries running an inverter to charge the laptop)
- 6 dB gain omni antenna tied to the roof with a bit of rope
- My trusty comfy beach chair
- Garbage bag duct taped to the door to help keep the water and dust out when driving on these roads
and then some of the locals decided to drop in and have a sniff – curious folk they are.
Finally after days of dust we reached our destination – a fresh water spring that runs all year round and flows at a phenomenal rate. No internet here! Just working on items locally.
Here we have my favorite workplace – a junk food chain! Free wifi and cheap unhealthy food. Great for putting you to sleep.
Temperature is getting warmer now – and it’s going to get worse as the months progress! Featured in this workplace is our luxurious shower bucket and our best investment yet – a spray mist bottle! (our portable air conditioner)
Camped at the side of a race course – lying in the pool my trusty stable table – tethered to the HTC Desire – negotiating a deal for a bulk extended license purchases of our items. I don’t even want to know how hot it is out here. My Envato sticker is about to melt off the laptop and slip into the pool.
To answer a few questions from the previous mystery workplace:
- Linux is run on the laptop 90% of the time.
- The main program used on the laptop is PhpStorm by JetBrains (highly recommended!)
- The laptop runs a custom LAMP stack to make local WordPress development a breeze
- A lot of code sits in local Mercurial repos – which can be pushed live when an internet connection is gained
- I use Windows for the odd game, also when some devices (card reader) don’t behave in Linux
- I do hardly any photo editing or graphic design – in Linux or Windows
That’s it for now – I hope this gives some motivation for my fellow authors – see you in a few weeks!
- Mystery author
( PS. Some of you know who I am – keep it a mystery for a while. =P )