How do you check your marketplace earnings? Last week ThemeForest and CodeCanyon author dtbaker posted this photo on the forums. And the crowd went wild.
David describes what his notification system does:
This little Arduino checks the Envato API every 2 minutes for any new sales. If it finds a new sale it will BEEP then show the name of the item just sold. It then calculates what you have earnt today and counts up to that value.
Do accomplish this piece of art, he ingeniously hacked together the following:
- A small open-source Arduino circuit (EtherTen) from Melbourne company Freetronics
- A dot matrix display unit
- A 4-channel power-over-ethernet midspan injector so a separate power cable is unnecessary
- Some C code (check it out on Github)
- The Envato Marketplace API
Here’s a video of the system working.
The response on the forums has been overwhelmingly positive. Here are a few choice comments:
- “Oh boy! This is the kind of pure awesomeness that makes me giddy. Let us have a look at the code too please!” (Siddharth)
- “Can I get one to show me how much spam is currently on the forum?” (KingDog)
- “Genius!… Connect it to a robot giving a drink…” (VideoMagus)
- “Haha, Thats hilarious! Mount it over your dining table and invite your relatives.” (revaxarts)
- “That’s awesome dude, great work! Do a Kickstarter project and let us buy this beauty from you.” (twi)
- “That’s amazing! You must be the geekiest geek in the whole geek universe of Envato.” (bloooming)
- “BTW what if your balance over $999. . ERROR ” (Manh)
- “Who needs a retina display when you can have this!” (ThemeProvince)
- “dtbaker you are a mad scientist!” (CodingJack)
- “Simply awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!” (kailoon)
- “I want one that sings a happy little song, or maybe curses, if there are no sales in the day.” (joiaco)
Well, Dave, I agree with those comments. You really are a mad scientist.
What do you think of Dave’s notification system? Let us know in the comments.